Thursday, December 4, 2014

Day hike nutrition

Finding the proper food/supplements to take for a day hike can seem like an impossible task. Eat too much and you will be drained trying to digest the extra food, don't eat enough and you could end up lethargic and angry! Luckily for me I have been into weightlifting for years, so the transition hiking nutrition wasn't a hard leap.

Keep in mind I am an active 215lb male so adjsut accordingly if you follow this.

Morning of the hike: (5am) I have a homemade protein shake consisting of: 1cup oats, 1tbsp honey, 1 scoop protein, almond milk, 2tbsp olive oil, and 1 tbsp peanut butter. All of that goes into a blender, and makes an easy high calorie meal.

On the drive to the hike:1 peanut butter sandwich. I'm lazy so I have a wheat/honey smuckers uncrustable.

During the ascent:Cliff Shotblocks, 1/2 for an easy hike. I will use the whole thing for 3000+ gain. Also in my water I use the Camelbak elixir tabs. I like them because they have electrolytes and caffeine (available without caffeine for sensitive people.)

At the top:1 uncrustable, and 1 cliff bar.

Post hike:Whatever you want to reward yourself with. Just make sure its high protein, so you can rebuild those worn down muscles!

As you can see its not a very big list, its enough to keep you full and with enough energy to get the job done. You dont need all of the extra weight, and to waste space bringing a whole picnic on your hike, unless that's what you want to do of course!

Happy hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram